Sunday

Giving Back



I believe that the secret to becoming financially free is having the right purpose. Imagine you have $1,000,000, how would you spend it? I bet first thing that would pop in our mind is to buy our dream house, a sports car, the most hi-tech gadgets, and travel around the world.  I would be a hypocrite if I say I don’t want those things as well. I do, I want those things so bad. Haha. But I learned from 2 of my mentors, my mom and Bo Sanchez, that having the right reasons to be rich is the first and foremost the most important thing. You need to have a reason bigger than yourself, and more important than material possessions.

My mom is one of the persons I most looked up to. She raised us well, and thought us to give back to the church and community. I remember ever since I was a kid that my mom would ask a share from us siblings when we donate to charitable institutions such as orphanage or home for the aged during Christmas.  This taught me not only how to share my blessings to others, but on how to save up as well. Of course, I would have to save up a part of my allowance so that come Christmas I would have something to donate.

I also learned from one of financial coach, Bo Sanchez, that's it's ok to want to be rich. That's what I love the most about Bo Sanchez, he's not some other hypocrite preacher who says money is the root of all evil. He is a preacher, but a businessman as well. He learned the hard way that it's ok to be rich as long as you don't let money get the best of you. It's ok to be rich, as long as you don't let money be your boss. He realize that in order to fulfill his dreams to help others and serve the poor, he needs money.

Personally, I believe it's good karma too. And so my first step to my journey to financial freedom is donating to  World Vision. World Vision is a charitable organization that helps needy kids in far-flung areas to study. With just P600 per month, I am  already helping send a child to school.  Why did I choose this organization? Well, for one, I have always been fond of kids. Just observing and looking at kids can bring me so much happiness. They are very innocent and they are very appreciative of even the smallest things. Secondly, because I know that they are just victims of poverty and it would be so unfair for them if they can't fulfill their dreams just because the adults around them can't fend for them. They have so much potential ahead of them.  As most people would say, they are the future of generations. 

Future of our Generation


I just started donating this May, and I would probably continue donating my entire lifetime.  So far, this has been a very fulfilling and rewarding experience. Just recently, I receive an annual report from the child I am sponsoring. He shared some personal information about himself, his likes and dislikes, his dreams, and even drew some pictures for me. I was really happy to receive that letter, as it reminds me that there are more serious problems around me, and there's more people that need help. It keeps me grounded, and reminded me that happiness could be found on even the simplest things.

For people who want to be financially free, take the first step by giving back to the community by donating to charitable institution such as the World Vision. For further information, visit their site at http://www.worldvision.org.ph

"He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward him for what he has done." Proverbs 19:17



No comments:

Post a Comment